« « Back

Name Official number Flag IMO
ABERTAY  75207  GBR   
Year built Date launched Date completed
1877  10/09/1877  22/09/1877 
Vessel type Vessel description
Lightship   Wood No Propulsion 2 masts 
Builder Yard Yard no
James Roney, Arbroath    
 

Tonnage Length Breadth Depth Draft
 / 117 nrt / 88.8 ft  19.6 ft  10.6 ft   
Engine builder ,
Engine detail
 

First owner First port of register Registration date
Trustees of the Harbour of Dundee  Dundee  05/10/1878 
Other names
 
Subsequent owner and registration history
 
Vessel history
Lightship for station at Abertay Sands, outer Tay estuary.
22/9/1877 delivered under tow from Arbroath to Dundee
16/10/1877 installed on station

1939 withdrawn from service and laid up when the new ABERTAY went on station.
c1940 requisitioned by the Admiralty as possible blockship and remained in lay-up, at Woodhaven Pier
9/1944 sold for £50 to Tulloch & Strachan, builders and contractors (still under requisition)
1945 sold to a broker at Tayport and moved to Woodhaven Pier
3/1946 for sale by Admiralty for demolition
10/1948 again for sale (no offers by 1/1949), some piecemeal demolition for firewood continued
22/11/1949 attempts to tow the remains off the pier unsuccessful (owner intended to then blow up the remains with explosives)
[last report found] 
Remarks
 
End year Fate / Status
1949  Dismantled  
Disposal Detail
Part dismantled at Woodhaven Pier 1948-1949 
 

 



« « Back