« « Back

Name Official number Flag IMO
ALEXANDRA  81004  GBR   
Year built Date launched Date completed
1879  28/04/1879   
Vessel type Vessel description
Passenger Ferry  Iron Paddle Steamer  
Builder Yard Yard no
Scott & Co., Greenock Cartsdyke East  188 
 

Tonnage Length Breadth Depth Draft
235 grt / 97 nrt / 171.0 ft  20.2 ft  8.5 ft   
Engine builder Greenock Foundry Company, Greenock
Engine detail
Cw2cyl diagonal (25&50x54in), 120nhp 

First owner First port of register Registration date
Port of Portsmouth & Ryde United Steam Packet Co. Ltd., Portsmouth  Portsmouth  04/06/1879 
Other names
1915 ALEXIS - 1920 ALEXANDRA - 1932 SHOW BOAT (unofficial) 
Subsequent owner and registration history
1880 London & South Western and London, South Coast & Brighton Railway Companies, London
1913 Fraser & White Ltd, Portsmouth
1913 Bembridge & Seaview Steam Ship Co Ltd, Portsmouth
1914 Cosens & Co Ltd, Weymouth - reg Weymouth (1915)
1915-1920 mng Sydney Shippick
1/1931 Pollock, Brown & Co Ltd, Southampton
2/1932 Alfred Hawkes, Littlehampton
5/1932 Alfred Hawkes & Clifford Whitley, London
1932 Clifford Whitley, London 
Vessel history
Built for Portsmouth-Ryde ferry service
From 1913 on excursion trades
9/1915 chartered to Capt Sydney Shippick to run as Admiralty ferry between Gillingham and Sheerness
3/1916 requisitioned as HMS ALEXIS
1918 auxiliary patrol vessel
1920 returned to Cosens and Weymouth excursion trade
1931 sold for demolition and delivered to scrapyard at Southampton
6/1932 converted by London syndicate to a floating dancehall/cabaret, with additional upper 'hall' forward; unofficially renamed SHOW BOAT for cruises between Greenwich and Richmond
1933 stationary showboat at Margate for a few weeks, then transferred to Shoreham, but closed down by local authorities and laid up
1934 purchased by Capt Andrew Hardie, Aberdeen for nightclub at Manchester, but sale was not completed; repossessed by Whitley and sold for demolition
 
Remarks
 
End year Fate / Status
1934  Broken Up  
Disposal Detail
11/1934 sailed Shoreham in tow to Grays, Essex for demolition by T W Ward Ltd. Broken up Q4/1934. 
 

 



« « Back